We have chicken at least three times a week and I love that it's such a versatile protein. It can be roasted, baked, slow cooked, fried, or poached, and can be flavoured in so many ways. The chicken we buy is from a local farm and it comes to us frozen. The issue is (and I know I'm not the only one), I often forget to take the chicken out of the freezer to thaw in the fridge the night before, creating additional obstacles when I'm preparing dinner.
Enter, the Instant Pot.
I got this beauty for Christmas and it was such a welcome surprise! I didn't even really know I wanted one, but it's quickly become one of my most loved and used kitchen appliances. It's not uncommon for me to be running my Instant Pot multiple times a day on both Saturday and Sunday, and I've seriously considered picking up a second one because I know how helpful it will be when I'm prepping multiple freezer meals.
If you don't know what an Instant Pot is, it's an electric pressure cooker that cooks your food in a fraction of the time required by other methods. The addition of the Instant Pot in my kitchen has been a huge time saver for me! I can now make my beloved bone broth in three hours as opposed to 24, infuse soups and chili with a ton of flavour in 30 minutes or less, and cook chicken breast that shreds like a dream in 18 minutes (from frozen!).
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- 6 chicken breasts (frozen)
- 1/2 cup water
- sea salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Place the wire steam rack in the bottom of the Instant Pot insert and add chicken breasts on top.
- Pour in the water and season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Secure the lid and ensure the steam release valve is turned to Sealing.
- Cook on Manual setting for 18 minutes. The Instant Pot will take about 5 minutes to reach pressure and then the timer will begin.
- Once the time is up, allow the Instant Pot to naturally release the pressure for about 10 minutes, then turn the steam release valve to Venting to release any remaining steam before unlocking and removing the lid. Be sure to keep your face and hands away from the steam valve!
- Transfer chicken to a plate or cutting board and shred with two forks.
- If you are cooking fresh or thawed chicken breast in an Instant Pot, reduce cooking time to 8–10 minutes.
- Season and spice your chicken however you like! I love to sprinkle it with homemade taco seasoning to make Mexican style chicken, or basil, oregano, and marjoram for Italian style chicken. The spices you choose will infuse the chicken with a ton of flavour while it cooks!
The Instant Pot is so easy to use and I love how quickly chicken can go from frozen to the plate. I like to add the shredded chicken to my soups, big dinner salads, or when I make homemade burrito bowls, and it's also perfect to use in sandwiches for lunch! What are your favourite recipes with shredded chicken?